1. To bring forward for consideration or acceptance; SYN. throw out.
2. To cause to move forward; SYN. bring forward.
3. To develop further.
4. To move forward, also in the metaphorical sense; SYN. progress, pass on, move on, march on, go on.
5. To move forward; of clocks and watches; SYN. set ahead.
6. To pay in advance.
7. To rise in rate or price; SYN. gain.
8. Give a promotion to or assign to a higher position
9. Develop in a positive way
10. Contribute to the progress or growth of
1. To cast, hurl, or throw repeatedly with some missile; SYN. bombard.
2. Hurl, throw
3. To beat or dash repeatedly against
4. To deliver a succession of blows or missiles
5. To beat incessantly
6. To move rapidly and vigorously; hurry
ETYM Corrupt. from prest ready money advanced, a loan; hence, earnest money given soldiers on entering service. Related to Prest.
1. To be urgent.
2. To create by pressing.
3. To crowd closely.
4. To exert pressure or force to or upon.
5. To place between two surfaces and apply weight or pressure.
1. To act or move at high speed; SYN. hasten, hurry, look sharp.
2. To attack suddenly.
3. To urge to an unnatural speed; SYN. hurry.
4. To move faster or hastily; SYN. hotfoot, hasten, hie, speed, race, pelt along, rush along, cannonball along, bucket along, belt along.
5. To run with the ball, in football.